These rich chocolate chip muffins contain twice the amount of chocolate! These muffins are fudgy, rich, and studded with sweet cherries for an extra special taste! These delicious breakfast treats can be made in one bowl.
My teenage friends and I used to go all out on Valentine’s Day. My house would be decorated with hearts and cupids. We would also make crafts and bake cookies that were heart-shaped. I cared a lot about this holiday in my youth than I do now.
As my children grew older, and I had less time for crafts, I would buy them each a box of chocolate. If I felt ambitious, I would also write them a card. The chocolates were as popular with my children as the crafts and cookies they had in their youth.
This year, I believe it will be different. I think this will be “I made you double chocolate chips muffins, my love for you.” You think that’s enough? They are teenagers, I get it! If I feel generous, I’ll give them extra spending money.
What is a Chocolate Chip Muffin?
Double chocolate chip muffins are nothing more than a double chocolate muffin with lots of chocolate chips mixed into the batter. These muffins are tender and soft. They also have a fudgy flavor that makes it feel more like a dessert than a breakfast meal.
To add sweetness and color, I added some coarsely chopped maraschino cherry pieces. These muffins are truly unique!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Cocoa Powder– This recipe uses Dutch-process cocoa powder, but you can use any other powder you have.
- Eggs – Large eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter Unsalted and melted
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips is acceptable. This recipe used chocolate chunks because of their size and intense flavor. However, chopped chocolate or white chocolate chips could be used.
- Maraschino Cherry – While I love the bright color, you can use 100% fresh cherries in this recipe!
- Cupcake wrappers and muffin pan – I used a 12-cup muffin pan but you can easily make mini muffins.
- Flour– All-purpose flour is acceptable. White whole wheat flour can be substituted for some or all of the all-purpose flour.
- Brown Sugar – Fine.
- Buttermilk – This will keep your muffins moist. You can substitute buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice for vinegar to a cup and topping it with milk. Allow this to rest for a while.
How to make this Chocolate Muffin Tipsrecipe
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place muffin liners on a baking sheet and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder and brown sugar with the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, and then stir in the melted butter. Stir the batter until it is well combined . Avoid overmixing!
- Add the chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
- Divide the batter among the muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely before you serve them.
Chocolate Chip Muffins with Butter Recipe
Yes, butter is used in this batter. The batter contains a good amount of butter (1/2 cup), which when combined with the buttermilk will give it enough liquid to make a tender, fluffy muffin. You can substitute 1/3 cup butter for the butter in the recipe.
Also Read : Denver Omelet Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Tipsrecipe for a Delicious Chocolate Chip Muffins
- The muffin batter is thick! It is crucial to only mix the cherries and chocolate chips after adding them. Your muffins will become dense and not fluffy if you over-stir.
- These muffins don’t have a lot of sweetness. You can make these muffins sweeter by adding milk chocolate chips to the batter and some turbinado sugar to the top. You can reserve a few baking chips and place them on top of the muffins just before baking. This is only for visual purposes.
- I chopped my cherries very coarsely. I wanted the chunks to be easily visible.
- Keep your muffins in an airtight container in an even layer. These muffins can also freeze for up to three months.
Love muffins? These muffins are great for baking: Try these Hazelnut Banana Nut Muffins or these Caramel Macchiato Chocolate Muffins or Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F Place muffin liners on a baking sheet and place a side.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder and brown sugar in a bowl. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter to the mixture. Mix the batter until it is well combined. Add the chocolate chips and cherries to the batter. Keep a few chocolate chips for decoration.
- Divide the batter among the muffin tins. Place the remaining chips on top of the muffins. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely before you serve them.
Thanks for reading this delicious Chocolate Chip Muffins With Cherries Recipe. You can also look for similiar recipe here
Happy cooking 🙂